This childhood favorite sandwich is enhanced for grown-up tastebuds with Wisconsin sharp cheddar, tomato, pesto and bacon.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 5-10 minutes
Total Time: 15-20 Minutes
- 4 slices of applewood smoked bacon
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 slices of tomato
- 2-6 basil leaves (optional)
- Heat skillet to medium-high heat and cook bacon, set aside.
- Butter one side of each sourdough slice and make sure your other ingredients are ready to go (cheese grated, tomatoes slice, bacon cooked) and within reach of the stove.
- Heat another skillet (or use the first one after you drained the grease and cleaned it out) to medium high.
- Put two slices of sourdough butter side down in the skillet.
- Put a big tablespoon of pesto on top of each slice of bread and use the back of the spoon to spread it around.
- Build your sandwiches: Arrange bacon on top of pesto (2 slices per sandwich), sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese on each sandwich, top with tomato slices and basil, then the other pieces of sourdough butter side up.
- Cook until golden brown on each. Flipping can be kind of tricky, so be careful!
- Slice each sandwich in half and serve with your favorite tomato soup!