Delicious new way to cook Wisconsin bratwursts that features the sweetness of nutritous red cabbage
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour
- 2 lbs bratwursts
- olive oil
- 8 - 10 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup beer or dry red wine
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Coarsley ground pepper to taste
- Do not prick or cut brats. Place them in a pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to slow simmer and cook very gently for 10 minutes.
- Drain well and place in large, lightly oiled skillet over low heat. Cook slowly, turning often, until browned on both sides, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place cabbage, apples, red onion, and beer or red wine in large, nonreactive saucepan. Bring to simmer and cook over medium heat until vegetables become slightly tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue to cook, stirring often, until tender, 10-15 minutes. As it cookes, add more liquid (beer, red wine, or water) if necessary to keep vegetables from sticking.
- To serve, mound the cabbage on a large platter. Cut brats into large pieces and arrange on cabbage. Dig in!