Wisconsin's official soup with a twist. Adapted by Amanda from a Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board recipe.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 55 Minutes
- Cooking Spray
- 3 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup slice celery
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 cups peeled, diced round red potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 can low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup Wisconsin beer
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Wisconsin Swiss cheese
- Coat a large pot with cooking spray and place over medium high heat until the pot is hot.
- Add carrots, celery, and green onions and cook for 8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Place flour in a bowl. Gradually add milk while whisking with a wire whisk. Add to pot.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Cook 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the beer, cook 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat, add cheeses, stirring until the cheeses are melted.